Translate

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

So much randomness

Hey again!

So last Friday Daffne and I didn't have school so we hung out in Kadıköy ((a sub-division of Istanbul, and I happen to live there too)). Okay, before I continue with my story, let me explain how everything is layed out geographically in Istanbul. So first is the city name: Istanbul. From there you'd state your continent since the city is split between Europe and Asia: mine is Asia. Next is your "county": Kadıköy. And lastly is your "neighborhood": I live in Feneryolu. I know this must seem complicated, but this city is so massively huge ((14 million people strong)) that this was the only way to organize everything and everyone. Alright, back to my story. 
So we agreed to meet at Starbucks around 8am. I arrived at about 8am, but I wasn't expecting Daffne until 9am because she is almost always late. But it doesn't even annoy me because I already expect it :). So while I was waiting for Daffne, I got breakfast and finished my Turkish homework. Here was my breakfast/Kahvaltı ((turkish name)): 
And yes, that IS NUTELLA ON MY BAGEL. It was so delicious! (( Also, I am going to comment on the whole "all exchange students are obsessed with Nutella" theory. Honestly, I had Nutella on this day and maybe one or two times I'd had the Turkish version of Nutella, but that's it for my whole time here so far. I don't really want to spend all my meals eating Nutella because I love trying new Turkish foods instead. Plus, Nutella will always be there in the US, while these foods may not. Don't be afraid to try new foods!)) 
Oh, speaking of trying new foods, I went to another Inbound's house recently and her host Grandma prepared Cow Brain for us. YES LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, I HAVE EATEN COW BRAIN!! AND NO, IT WAS NOT GOOD. Basically, the only reason I ate the brain was to say I did... I'm so glad I got this opportunity! 

Once Daffne finally showed up, we went for some çay ((and breakfast for her)) at a nearby cafe. 
Let me just tell you, Kiwi çay is so so so sweet. Compared to normal black çay I'm used to drinking with a little sugar, this çay tasted so sweet and sour all at the same time I had to take tiny sips because it was so strong. 
Afterwards, we explored several bookstores and movie shops. We also discovered a new cafe! I'm so excited :) It was on the third floor of this bookstore I'd never been inside of. The best part is, they have free wifi and comfy chairs. I will definitely be making myself a regular there :) 
For lunch we had İskender. It was my first time trying it and I absolutely loved it! And by the look on Daffne's face, you can tell she was loving it too! 
İskender is made up of ((right to left)): yogurt, pita bread (underneath the meat), lamb meat, tomatoes, hot peppers, and it's all topped with melted butter. Can I just say that this is probably some of the best food I've ever eaten. Çok güzel! 

Then today during school, Daffne and I got bored so we skyped Gabi ((from Brazil)) and Julia ((from USA)), since they go to the same school like Daffne and I do. 
Gabi and Julia
Me and Daffne

Anyway, our Thanksgiving Party is Saturday and I can't wait! 

Thanks again for reading, 
Maggie 

No comments:

Post a Comment