Translate

Friday, September 26, 2014

So the adventure continues

Hello again! 
So yesterday, I went to the European side (this was my third time now, including when my plane landed) to go to the police station to apply for my residents permit. The ones of us who had to go yesterday were: Hana, Julia, Luis, Charlène, Raphael, Laura, and I. We met a committee member in Taksim and we all rode in a small bus that was rented for this occasion. Once we got to the police station, we had to go through some security checks, similar to airport security,  then we could enter the facility. We walked up some stairs and sat in this hallway, on the ground, to wait for our appointments. But since we were late (Julia got lost getting off the metro and onto the right ferry and we waited for her to find the right place) {{side note, I rode the ferry the other day to my Rotary meeting I LITERALLY HAVE TO CROSS CONTINENTS TO GET TO MY ROTARY LUNCH how funny is that?! Oh here is a picture:}}
So our appointments were pushed back. After sitting for a few hours, we decided to get lunch at the Police Station's cafe. The food was pretty strange there. Julia, Raphael, and I all got this sandwich that was like a panini filled with various meats, white cheese, tomatoes, pickles, ketchup, French fries, and Cole slaw. There were so many flavors happening at once that I couldn't focus on what I was eating! Haha. After lunch, we went back to the building and sat for another hour or so before Julia and I got called to the desk. They had us verify some things, show our insurance cards, and sign. But after that we all left. We are all still pretty confused about what went down exactly, since none of us received anything, but I'm sure they are working it out. This exchange has definitely made me more flexible. Most of the time I am told about something I have to do the night before, so at this point, I'm basically "expecting the unexpected". But the laid back, stress free turkish lifestyle is wonderful. Here is a selfie of our group while we are waiting at the police station:
Afterwards, Julia and I had to take a Dolmus, like a minibus, back to the Asian side. It was honestly so scary. This was the first time I've ever navigated the city without my host mom or a Rotarian/Rotex. But after a 45 minute bus ride, we arrived at the stop close to my flat. Here are some pictures I took while in the bus:
Mosque on the European Side
Bridge that crosses continents!
On the bridge! (Oh by the way, Julia and I sat in the front bench next to the bus driver, that's how I was able to get all these pictures!)
Also, here is a picture of my school Library! I just know Sydney and Sophie would love it! I spend all the boring class times in the library either studying Turkish or reading.
Speaking of reading, here is an awesome quote I came across in a book I was reading called "What Katy Did Next". 

Teşekkür ederim {{Thank you}}, 
Maggie



1 comment:

  1. A new adventure every day! I am glad to hear that you are figuring out the buses. That is half the battle. You will be a pro by the time you come home.

    ReplyDelete